How to Maximize your Budget
Find her dream ring without breaking the bank.
Throw out the notion that you have to spend 2 months’ salary on an engagement ring – you don’t have to, unless of course, you want to. It’s possible to find the perfect ring within any price range, especially if you make choices to maximize your budget.
1. Consider white gold over platinum. Platinum is known for being durable and low maintenance, but it’s the most expensive precious metal. White gold will give the ring the same look at a much lower price.
2. Consider 10K gold. 10K, 14K, and 18K gold all contain different percentages of gold and alloy metals. 18K has the highest gold concentration, making it more expensive than 10K or 14K. 10K contains the least gold concentration, making it a little more affordable. Luckily, the color or strength difference between the karat amounts is so minimal, you probably won’t be able to tell!
3. Add a halo. Instead of going all out on a massive center diamond, consider choosing a smaller diamond and adding a halo! A halo is designed to create the illusion of a larger diamond, plus it’s super trendy right now. Save money and stay on trend!
4. Go for a solitaire. Save money and focus on the center diamond by going simple on the ring. A plain, unaccented mounting costs a lot less than one studded with diamonds. That’ll give you more wiggle room to go big on the center stone!
5. Understate the center diamond and go big on bling! Just the opposite from #4, you can spend the money on a fancy, accented ring with lots of small diamonds and a halo to give the illusion of a large center stone. It all depends on which style she likes the best!
6. Choose a diamond under carat cutoffs. A diamond that is exactly 1.00ct or 1.50ct tend to be a bit pricier than a .90ct or a 1.45ct. There won’t be a noticeable size difference and you’ll save a bit of money!
7. Consider vintage or pre-owned. Ask your jeweler about gentry pre-owned or any vintage pieces they might have. The price tag on used jewelry is usually a lot less compared to brand new.
Your budget is your budget. Don’t feel pressured to spend more than the amount you’re comfortable with. No matter how much you’re able to put aside, you’re bound to find the perfect engagement ring that’ll make her dreams come true!